Monday, March 14, 2005

It's Monday...

Well - I've gone almost a whole week without posting...eek! Work has been so busy, and that's usually when I post!

I meant to post a happy birthday on Friday to a friend that had a special birthday - big 3-5! Unfortunately I wasn't able to be with him and his family for the big day, but I'm sure they had a wonderful day!

I didn't get very many responses to the covenant marriage question which was a little disappointing, but I guess y'all don't wanna talk to me about that stuff...Our church is doing a big push right now for covenant marriages, and had a "ceremony" last night for the 57 couples who converted their marriages. My stance in a nut shell - I have a covenant marriage, not the kind recognized by the state, but a covenant between my sweet wonderful husband, God, and myself, which was witnessed by most of my close friends and family on June 5th of last year. With the state's stance on separation of church and state, the requirements of a covenant marriage aren't going to be met....it requires counseling before marriage, (which most people do anyway) and counseling before divorce, which #1 state won't enforce, if they do it won't be "Christian counsel" required and #2 Divorce isn't an option for my sweet wonderful husband and I, so it's not an issue. I've tried to talk it over with several people, and haven't been able to change my stance, to see the need to change our marriage. Granted - there would be NO harm in changing it, BUT there's no need in it either. Several from our church seem to just be blindly following the pastor, which I DO think you should follow the pastor, as he follows the Lord, but in this one, I think the church should step up, and not require the state to "fix" the marriage problem in America today! Marriage is an institution created by GOD, not the state, so His "rules" apply, not the states. Ok - I've rambled on long enough on this subject!

My sweet wonderful husband and I are taking off Good Friday (YAY!), to go out of town. We're running away for a few days, and I can't wait! Both of our Spring Breaks are that next week, so we don't have to worry about doing homework on that weekend. I need an escape. I'm just hoping that that's not the time my grandmother goes to meet her Savior. I'm figuring it'll be this week sometime, I've told two of my professors that I might have to miss a couple days of classes, and the other 2 I can e-mail. According to my mom, she barely stays away 5 minutes at a time these days, and has already told mom that she's "tired," and has become extremely weak. Knowing my grandmother, a VERY independent woman, I'm sure she's ready to go on home now. She's lived a VERY full life, raising 3 children and 5 step children, spoiling MANY grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She'll be missed by all of us when she goes on, but I KNOW I'll see her again! And right now I get to see her smiling face all day while I'm at work as I have her picture right by my monitor, and it's from the days when her health was good!

Ok - on to happier thoughts so as not to end on something sad...I started Weight Watchers last week! YAY! I'm excited about it! I tried it once before for two whole weeks, and didn't have any luck, but I don't think I was nearly as into it as I am right now(actually I know I wasn't). And according to my home scales I've already lost 2 1/2 lbs!!! YAY!! While I know that's mostly water weight right now, I'm still excited, as my weight has been stuck at a number I don't like for a while now...and it's a little lower already! Woo hoo!

Ok...back to work now...
Don't miss me too much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I didn't comment before because I needed to think about it a little more. But I've come to the conclusion that it's not the piece of paper that counts, it's the covenant between you, your spouse, and God. When I first heard about Covenant marriage, I thought it might be something M & I might be interested in, but since all the requirements are things we did/will do if it becomes necessary, I didn't see that it was required. We agreed before we ever got married (way back before this debate was even thought about) that divorce wouldn't be an option for us, ever. We didn't just sign a paper in front of a preacher, we made an agreement with God, to be married to each other for life, and we intend to keep it. So, sorry the comment is late, but there you go!

Raleigh said...

I"m a week behind too. My husband and I discussed it and both agree that it's not the piece of paper that matters but the covenant between 3-you, your spouse, and God.