Friday, March 18, 2005

Mamaw Fern

As we come to the end of her life, I struggle with letting her go at times, but it’s harder seeing her “tired,” so the Lord has granted a peace about it. Last night, as I lay in bed, knowing my husband and I will leave our cozy apartment in Little Rock tomorrow, to bid our final farewells to Mamaw, all I could hear in my minds ear was her laugh. It made me smile! I don’t remember a time when Mamaw wasn’t smiling or laughing (except the one time she put me in the corner for leaving her at Granny Jenkin’s – but she was taking too long, and I wanted to go back – but that’s another memory for another day). I will always remember the twinkle in her eyes. It was such a happy glow, and usually meant she was up to something. It was never mean spirited, as that wasn’t her nature, but when you saw the gleam you could be prepared to hear her giggle, as some joke was told, or funny thing happened.

I also think of her very generous heart. And I don’t say that just as a spoiled granddaughter who got gum or candy at every visit! I don’t think anyone who met her would say otherwise (and they didn’t get the gum and candy!). She gave birth to 3 children, raised 8, and yet has 16 people that call her mama saying good bye. WOW! Not to mention all the grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I can’t ever remember her saying “No” when someone asked her for something. When we’d come in for a visit, and want to know what’s going on with her, her stories were always about helping someone. And it wasn’t because she was bragging, it was because that’s what she did, and loved doing it!

One of my favorite Christian songs talks about leaving a legacy. The chorus that speaks to my heart says this: “I want to leave a legacy, how will they remember me, did I chose to love, did I point to You enough? I want to leave a mark on thing, want to make an offering, child of mercy and grace who blessed your name un-apologetically…” It goes on from there, but that’s how I hope to live my life, and it’s how Mamaw DID live her life, she pointed to Jesus by her life. She never apologized for her faith, or what she believed it, and had a personal relationship with Jesus. She loved going to church, she especially loved “singin’s” at the church, and I think she knew all the Gather songs by heart from watching them so much on TV.

If I had to say what Mamaw’s legacy was, it would be “child of God, mother of many, friend to all.” She’ll be missed, but her life will live on in each one she’s touched, who do as she did, and continue her legacy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful legacy to hand down to her family! You were blessed with the best kind of Grandmother - and you'll have that in your heart and mind when YOU are a mother and grandmother yourself. My prayers are with your family, but I know that Mamaw is going to be so happy when she sees Jesus!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.